It all started in 1925, when a group of citizens set out to obtain a hospital that would serve the rich and the poor as well as measure up to "big city" standards of medicine.
Centra Southside Community Hospital was originally a foundation experiment to determine if proper health care could be provided in a rural setting. Construction and operating grants were made possible by the Commonwealth Fund of New York. In July 1926, the Farmville Manufacturing Company was awarded the construction contract and by November 1927 Centra Southside Community Hospital had opened its doors to patients.
The original 40-bed hospital cost $180,000 to build and equip. That expenditure, minimal by today's standards, has proven to be a wise investment.
CSCH has been the healthcare center of Southside Virginia since opening its doors November 9, 1927. Since then, it has operated on a non-profit basis with the goal of helping to heal the ill and injured. The hospital now serves the residents of Amelia, Appomattox, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Lunenburg, Nottoway, and Prince Edward Counties.
Centra Southside Community Hospital is a state-of-the-art facility committed to meeting the needs of the community through quality cost effective healthcare, delivered by a progressive, highly-trained medical staff and an efficient, friendly workforce.
We are dedicated to improving the quality of life in the communities we serve by providing high- quality healthcare with a personal touch.
We recognize that good health is essential for a high quality of life. We also recognize that our commitment to meeting community needs and expectations for good health requires excellence in all we do. Therefore, we adhere to the following values:
- Compassion: We care about those we serve and we seek to understand their diverse needs and expectations.
- Quality Service: We seek to meet the needs and, wherever possible, to exceed the expectations of those we serve.
- Integrity: We act honestly, responsibly, ethically, confidentially, and professionally in the way we conduct our business.
- Respect: We acknowledge the unique worth and diversity of each individual and seek to treat everyone with dignity.
- Pride: We have self respect and believe in our ability to provide excellence in all that we do.
- Communication: We strive to have open, honest communication with everyone.
- Financial Responsibility: We manage our resources prudently in order to provide high-quality, low-cost services.
To get directions from your location to the Centra Southside Community Hospital, click the directions link on the map below and enter your address.
If you would prefer general directions based on geographic location or if you are having difficulty using the interactive map below, please click here to view our Maps and General Driving Directions.