Centra Hospice provides a team-oriented approach to expert medical care, pain management, and emotional and spiritual support tailored to the patient's needs. For more information please call Centra Hospice, Farmville 434.315.2885 or Centra Hospice, Lynchburg 434.200.3204.
The Centra Hospice team consists of:
- Medical Director (physician)
- Home care aides
- Social Workers
- Patient's attending physician
What is hospice?
Hospice is a philosophy of care committed to helping a person live out the last months, weeks and days of life as fully as possible regardless of age, race, culture or diagnosis. Hospice care is extended to the family, caregivers, and friends.
Who is eligible?
Hospice is for any person with a life limiting condition and a prognosis of six months or less who is seeking comfort and relief of pain and symptoms rather than curative treatment. The cause of the life limiting condition may be:
- Lung Disease
- Heart Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Liver Disease
- Failure to Thrive
What services are provided?
- Comprehensive, culturally sensitive care for people of any background, faith, diagnosis or age.
- Certified hospice nurses with more than 20 years of experience in providing hospice care to patients and families. Care is directed at effective pain and symptom management so the patient can be alert and as comfortable as possible.
- 24/7 access to on-call nurse
- Home delivery of supplies as needed.
- Social Workers who help persons diagnosed with a life limiting illness, their families, and communities understand and work through the many dimensions of dying and bereavement. Social work services include counseling, referral, and advocacy.
- Strong volunteer program. Carefully recruited and thoroughly trained volunteers are actively involved in direct and indirect patient care roles and participate as members of the interdisciplinary team.
- Bereavement support. Bereavement staff intervene early after the death of the loved one to provide counseling, support groups, visits, notes and phone calls. Bereavement support continues for at least one year.
- Chaplaincy services. Chaplains are available to meet the spiritual needs of the patient and family and/or be a liaison between the patient/family and their religious community. Chaplains will assist with arrangements for memorial and funeral services.
- Hospice House. An option for patients of Centra Hospice, Hospice House provides residential, supportive care in a home-like environment.
- Patient and family support, care and services in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, retirement communities.
- Dedicated, compassionate team members.
How is hospice paid for?
Hospice is paid for through the Medicare Hospice Benefit, the Medicaid Hospice Benefit and most commercial insurances. Centra Hospice will help to determine coverage available and will provide care regardless of the person's ability to pay for services.
The Medicare/Medicaid Hospice Benefit and most insurances provide these services through the benefit:
- Nursing services
- Four levels of care
- Care in the home
- Respite care (to provide relief to caregivers)
- Inpatient hospital care for symptoms that cannot be adequately managed at home
- Continuous care for up to 24 hours per day in times of crisis
- Physician services to provide palliation and management of the hospice illness and related conditions
- Social services
- Counseling services
- Spiritual counseling provided by clergy
- Bereavement counseling for 13 months following the death of the patient
- Nutritional counseling
- Home health aide services
- Personal care services through the Medicaid Hospice Benefit
- Volunteer support to assist the patient and loved ones
- Medical supplies/equipment related to the care of the terminal illness
- Pharmaceuticals related to the hospice diagnosis
- Durable medical equipment (i.e., hospital beds, oxygen concentrator) related to the hospice diagnosis
- Any other medical supplies (i.e., bandages, catheters) related to the hospice diagnosis
- Physical, speech and occupational therapies
- Diagnostic studies related to the care of the terminal illness
- Laboratory studies
- Radiologic tests
- Other treatments
- Palliative radiation
- Palliative chemotherapy
Complimentary Care and Services
- Pet Therapy
- Music Therapy
- Massage Therapy
Centra Hospice, Farmville
713 Oak Street
Farmville, VA 23901
Phone: 434.315.2885, Fax: 434.200.7468
Centra Hospice, Lynchburg
Office Location: 2097 Langhorne Road, Lynchburg VA 24501
Mailing Address: 3300 Rivermont Ave., Lynchburg VA 24503
Phone: 434.200.3204, Fax: 434.200.7468
Centra Hospice is a member of the National Hospice and Palliative Care Association, a member of the Virginia Association for Home Care and Hospice, and certified by the JCAHO, Medicare and Medicaid. Centra Hospice was founded in 1983 (as Hospice of the Hills) and was one of the first in Virginia. Since it's founding, Centra Hospice has provided service to hundreds of patients living in the central Virginia area. Patients with a prognosis of six months or less, both cancer and non-cancer illnesses are eligible to receive hospice services. Hospice considers the patient and family together as the unit of care.